Eastern Kentucky Flooding Response
Thank you in your interest in offering assistance in the aftermath of the flooding in Eastern Kentucky in July – August, 2022. There were significant losses in Breathitt Co., Clay Co., Floyd Co., Harlan Co., Jackson Co., Johnson Co., Knott Co., Lee Co., Letcher Co., Leslie Co., Magoffin Co., Martin Co., Morgan Co., Owsley Co., Perry Co., and Pike Co., Wolfe Co.. Cleanup and recovery is ongoing.
The KBVE is working closely with the Kentucky Veterinary Medical Association (KVMA) and shelters who are part of the Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs). We will provide updates on this website as they become available.
There has been an outpouring of initial supply donations, for which the people and animals of Kentucky are so grateful: THANK YOU! There will be a sustaining need for supply donations. Please note that recovery from this event is going to be a long process with need for continued community support in the coming months.
If you wish to help or need assistance following the storm, there are some resources below and in the sidebars.
To donate needed supplies, please reach out in your community to the UK Extension Office, local church organizations, fire stations, or schools for supply drops. The supplies being requested at this time include:
- Storage bins and laundry baskets so people can store recovered personal items
- Fuel gift cards
- Food gift cards
- Supply gift cards
- Dog and cat food
- Cat litter
- Baby diapers
- Common toiletries
- Infant and small child clothing and supplies
- Washing supplies
- Major cleaners and disinfectants and associated cleaning supplies-i.e. mop buckets, mops, scrub brushes
- Pocket knives
- Can openers
- Pet food and water bowls
- Toys and games for adults and children
- Heavy-duty boxes and totes
- 5-gallon buckets from Lowe’s or Home Depot
- Temporary fencing/barb wire
General Animal Needs
The KBVE is working closely with the Kentucky Veterinary Medical Association (KVMA) to coordinate a response to animal needs.
Donation of Supplies:
- Contact Debra Hamelback, KVMA Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There has been an outpouring of initial supply donations, for which the people and animals of Kentucky are so grateful: THANK YOU!
- There will be a sustaining need for supply donations in the coming months
Donation of Veterinary Services:
- Contact KBVE at Vet@ky.gov to be added to a list of volunteers
Large Animal/Livestock/Agricultural Needs
The Office of the State Veterinarian (OSV) should be contacted with questions about large animal transport and disease response.